Sunday 18 January 2009

16 miles passed and still alive!

Hundreds of years ago, the cleverest folks around thought the human brain would explode if humans travelled at over 40mph. The hundred mile an hour barrier was next followed by the invisible wall in the sky - the sound barrier. All the barriers (perceived, psychological and supposedly scientific) were broken.

I always thought my legs would fall off after running 16 miles. It seems this is not the case. A lot of this lark is mental. Some would say you have to be mental to start but in all seriousness keeping going, gritting it out, 'gutsing' through a tough bit be it cold, up hill or through a low blood sugar spot is as much about psychological as physical. The training is as much for the brain as it is the body.

It wasn't easy I can tell ya but I did it and survived and intend to 'up' my record distance by 1 mile every two weeks or so until I hit 20. Then taper and hope.

I'm going to maintain the three runs a week I'm current managing - recovery on t'mill on Monday, 6+ miles mid-week and two gym sessions. The only days I am going to get up at stupid o'clock until the 26th of April are gym mornings. The rest of the time I'll be setting the automatic cat feeders and getting up at a more sensible hour.

Right now it gets harder because the weather is fairly crap but pretty much all my training is in the dark FFS. Gotta keep it sensible and positive - not letting the training become a chore is essential.

Till next week, here's the summary:

Monday, Sports Massage
Tuesday, Gym
Wed, rest
Thu, 6 miles
Fri, Gym
Sat, 16.12 miles
Sun, rest and stretch

total mileage (not including the mill) - 22.12

No comments: