Thursday 23 April 2009

A big weekend

480 miles, 2880 minutes in the gym, 3 pairs of running shoes constant support and advice from Marie and my friends and 23 wonderful, generous and wise sponsors are all essential ingredients required to complete the Flora London Marathon this Sunday. That's great 'cos thats what I have and that's what I'm going to do.

Here are some useful facts for the day if you still want the sweaty hug:

I am number 37779. Text the word 'run' to 83040 to keep track of my progress every 5k.

I'll be aiming for 5.5mph or 11-12 minute miles. You can trace the following points on the Interactive FLM Map

The 'real' start time is about 10:00. So I expect to be just past the Cutty Sark by 11-11:30.

I'll be halfway - TowerBridge - at about lunch time, say 12:30-13:00.

I'll be around Canary Wharf near the famous traffic light sculpture twice - it's the best place to catch me then - at 15 miles and 19 miles - so that's about 3 hours in and 4 hours in - 13:00 - 14:00.

So, then I'll be in relatively uncharted territory going beyond 20 miles down The Embankment for the next hour or so. You won't get on the Mall unless you have tickets and my two tickets have already been snapped up by my Mum I'm afraid so the next best place to catch me is when I'll appear emotionally and physically wrecked in Horse Guards parade about 30 mins after crossing the line. Let's say I manage 5 - 5:30, that'll be 15:30 - 16:00 by the letter 'D'.

A good idea would be to keep an eye out for the flag.

If you come on the day, I really hope I can catch you on the way - your support means a *huge* amount to me (Sweaty hug is optional of course). If you don't make it on the day - no problem, if you sponsored me - THANK YOU! Every donation makes a huge difference - I appreciate your support as does everyone who is affected by Diabetes - the numbers are still growing. If you haven't had chance to dig deep yet - no worries, there is still time! Just head over to my Just Giving page and hammer the plastic ;-)

Thanks again for all your support over the last 6 months - Sunday is going to be a great day!

Doug

No comments: